We use cookies to optimise your experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to receive our cookies.
Your Portfolio (27)

Energy Certificate


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) | Certificado de EficienciaEnergética (CEE)


What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC), also known as an Energy Efficiency Certificate (EEC) or as they are properly called in Spanish, Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE), are documents which will show how energy efficient your home is displayed as a rating from A to G. Much like the stickers you see on things such as fridge freezers, washing machines or air conditioning units, the energy Performance certificate in Spain gives the property a standard energy and carbon emission Performance grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and ‘G’ is the least efficient.


Who Needs an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain?

After 1st June 2013 every domestic property for sale or long term rent needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This does not apply to properties that are currently rented out on a long term basis. These only require an Energy Performance Certificate when a new tenancy is agreed.


Are there any exceptions?

If you have a long term tenant in place you do not need an EPC in Spain. If your property was built after October 2007/8 you may find that you already have a Spanish EPC. To check this look on your plans to find the architect and contact them. Likewise if you only rent your property out on a short term basis such as holiday rentals you may not need an EPC in Spain. The Real Decreto states the following exception: Buildings or housing units in buildings used or intended to be used for either less than four months a year or for a limited time a year and with expected energy consumption of less than 25% of which would be of use throughout the year. So if a property (that has no certificate) has been rented for 4 months, it cannot be used again the same year.


Will I be able to rent or sell my house without an EPC in Spain?

No after 1st June 2013 you will be required by law to present your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain when your property is for sale or long term rent. When you sell your house the Notary will need the original EPC and when you rent your house in Spain the tenant will have to be given a copy of your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain.


When will this come into effect?

The law was formalized on the 5th April 2013 and will take effect on the 01 June 2013. You will be expected to comply as soon as possible after this date. This applies to properties currently offered for sale or new rentals and for properties new to the market. Whether your property is for sale or rent you will have to have a Spanish Energy Performance Certificate in place before your property can be advertised. This does not apply to current long term rentals. If you already have a long term tenant in your property then you do not need the EPC in Spain until you have a new tenancy.


Who can issue the Energy certificate in Spain?

Only certified and registered assessors are able to issue the Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This includes architects, technical architects and some engineers.

Our Architect Antonio Martinez De La Casa who has authourity to issue the EPC in Spain.He is also Member of Madrid Architects Association(COAM),college Nº15158.


How can I get an EPC for my property?

You will need to contact a registered Architect/Assessor/Engineer who will be able to assist you in getting your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. – please contact us.


Who has to pay for the energy certificate?

The owner of the property will have to pay for the Energy Certificate here in Spain.


What if I get a low rating on my EPC?

Along with your EPC in Spain, you will get a report giving advice about how to improve your properties energy rating. The report will recommend cost effective measures which could be undertaken to improve the energy rating of the property. It will also contain information about the rating that could be achieved if all the recommendations were implemented.


Why have Energy Performance Certificates been introduced?

The EPC has its roots in the Kyoto Protocol which was a worldwide initiative started in 1997 to address the issue of Greenhouse gases. Since then the European Union have formulated the European Directive for the Energy Performance of Buildings, which applies to all member states with a clearly defined timetable of the measures we must introduce. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a certificate which demonstrates the energy rating of a building. It forms part of the 'Energy Performance of Buildings Directive' (EPBD).


How is the rating on my EPC in Spain worked out?

A Registered energy architect/engineer will visit your property and take measurements and recordings from things such as your air conditioning, your hot water system, type of windows fitted, type of insulation, type of construction etc. The readings taken will then be entered online into one of the Governments approved programmers which will generate the rating for your property giving its energy Performance and environmental impact. The programme used are the same for all properties so a potential buyer or tenant will be able see the projected energy costs for each property viewed. Your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain will be registered to the Catastro reference for your property.


Do I need an EPC if I only rent my property out for holiday lets?

Yes in general, you do still need an EPC in Spain even if you only rent your property out for holiday lets, although there are exceptions. Please see above, “Are there any exceptions?”


What if I rent my property out through an agent?

Either you or your agent will need to get a Spanish EPC for your property for long term rentals or sales. An agent will not be legally allowed to offer your property for long term rent or sale without a certificate.


Can I advertise my property without an Energy Certificate?

NO - as from 1st June 2013 you will need an EPC in Spain to be able to advertise your property for sale or rent.


How Long Does The EPC Last For in Spain?

The Energy Performance Certificate in Spain lasts for 10 years.


What if I make changes to my property in Spain?

You can have your property re-assessed at any time during the period your EPC in Spain is in date.


What if I have an existing tenant?

If you have an existing long term tenant you do not need an EPC in Spain. However when you issue a new tenancy agreement you need the EPC for the incoming tenant.


Can I get in Trouble If I do Not Get an EPC?

The government has said they will fine people that have a property for sale or rent that does not have an EPC. Fines of between 3,000€ and 600,000€ can be given to anybody who needs an EPC (CEE) who does not have one. This includes agents as well as private individuals.


El Real Decreto de Certificación Energética aprobado

Os informamos de que hoy viernes, 5 de abril del 2013, se ha aprobado en el Consejo de Ministros el Real Decreto para la Certificación de Edificios. Este Real Decreto deroga al Real Decreto 47/2007, incluyendo la obligación de obtener la certificación energética del edificio o parte de éste a todo propietario que publicite su edificio o parte de éste para la venta o alquiler.

A la espera de que el texto definitivo sea publicado en el BOE, las filtraciones nos indican que no hay cambios importantes con respecto al borrador publicado anteriormente y en el que tenéis acceso íntegro en el siguiente enlace:http://arquitecline.es/pdf/RD_ProcedimientoBasico.pdf

- Todas las viviendas en venta o alquiler deberán mostrar en su publicidad una etiqueta energética similar a la que llevan los electrodomésticos. Dicha etiqueta se obtiene mediante la Certificación Energética.

- Los edificios o parte de éstos y locales comerciales, construidos anteriormente antes del mes de noviembre del 2007, deberán someterse a la certificación energética en caso de publicitarse para su venta o alquiler.

- El certificado energético (original), deberá de ser entregado en la firma del contratode compra-venta. Para los alquileres bastará con presentar el original y entregar una copia al inquilino.

- A partir del 1 de junio del 2013, será obligatorio poner a disposición de los compradores o arrendadores de edificios o parte de los mismos y locales comerciales, un certificado de eficiencia energética. En el caso de los alquileres, serán exigibles para alquileres superiores a 4 meses de duración.

- El certificado energético deberá de incluir la calificación energética obtenida, la información objetiva de las características energéticas del edificio, y en el caso de edificios existentes, recomendaciones de mejora para mejorar el comportamiento del edificio o parte de este en eficiencia energética. De forma que se pueda establecer una comparación con respecto a otros edificios similares a nivel de comportamiento energético.

- Los edificios correspondientes a las administraciones públicas cuya superficie sea superior a los 500 m2 y sean frecuentados normalmente por personas también deberán de obtener la etiqueta energética a través del certificado energético.

- Los técnicos competentes para emitir los certificados son arquitectos, arquitectos técnicos, ingenieros e ingenieros técnicos.

Como ya se ha comentado en numerosas ocasiones, el Certificado de Eficiencia Energética es un documento, suscrito por un técnico certificador habilitado, que contiene información sobre las características energéticas y la eficiencia energética de un edificio o parte de éste. En este certificado y mediante una etiqueta energética, se asigna a cada edificio o parte de éste una Clase Energética de eficienciaque variará desde la clase A, para los energéticamente más eficientes, a la clase G, para los menos eficientes.

A partir de su publicación en el BOE, los certificados emitidos serán totalmenteválidos jurídicamente.

Property Search

Property Type:
Price From:
Price To:
Min. Beds:
Min. Baths:
Property Ref:
Contact Us

Tel: (+34) 634 300 020
UK Rate: 07748 869 311

Chat With Us on Skype

SPI | Indalo Casas
Avenida de la Luz, Nº16,
Mojácar 04638,

Spain Assured Socially
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Watch Our Videos on You Tube